Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Church With The Mogul #3

This post was actually supposed to be a part of the post above it (“Jumpseating Adventures”) when I originally started typing it a few weeks ago, but due to the couple-week delay in writing that post I never actually got to the Mogul Church topic, so I’ve decided to go back and write a dedicated post on the topic and just backdate it so that it fits chronologically in with the rest of the posts. (If you haven’t seen any of the “Church With The Mogul” posts before, I’d recommend you go back and take a look at the first one to understand the background of this intermittent series.)

The day after I got back from visiting Mimi, I decided to take a very long walk and continue my attempt to adapt to the fact that I can’t regularly attend church by listening to worship music and a sermon using the MP3 player functions of my phone.

I started out listening to David Crowder’s new Remedy album, which I’d bought a couple weeks prior but still hadn’t gotten around to listening to. It’s good, not quite as good as Illuminate (which I absolutely love), but I still liked it. I think I’m going to grow to like it a lot more after I listen to it a couple more times.

Then I listened to the next installment of Driscoll’s sermon series on the book of Proverbs. The downside of the fact that it’s been so long since I listened to it is that I don’t remember a lot of the points of the sermon itself, but there are a couple of things that stick out in my memory.

The first one is that the topic was the heart, so he spent a lot of time focusing on how God takes our hearts of stone and turns them into hearts of flesh and the importance of the fact that it is God that does this, not our own effort. The other big thing that sticks out in my mind is how Driscoll said he prepared for the sermon. He said that there are roughly 900 references to the heart in scripture (including other terms with the same meaning but don’t necessarily use the word “heart”) and in preparation for his sermon he looked at all 900 references, in context. Needless to say, that’s quite an effort, and I think it showed in the quality of the sermon and the grasp he seemed to have of what he was talking about.

There are a couple other little snippets that I remember from the sermon, but I’m afraid I don’t remember them well enough to elaborate here (besides, I wouldn’t want to spoil it for you if you were to actually listen to it yourself). Overall, it was a good sermon and I’m looking forward to continuing the Proverbs series (although I don’t know when I’ll listen to the next one, maybe it’ll be tomorrow while I’m riding Amtrak up to Chicago (see post above)).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home