Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Little Better

Day two of the sim went a little better. My fine-tuning of the controls and situational awareness were much improved, but I still have a long way to go. My steep turns were easily within ATP standards, so I had something to feel pleased about. I'm finally picking up on how to do stalls, so hopefully I'll get those within standards soon. We started having emergencies today and did ok, but our workload goes way up when things go wrong, so we have our work cut out for us.

For dinner tonight, I was able to make some fried spagetti, which was really good. You might be thinking that life must be pretty dull if I'm mentioning that on my blog, but you have to understand that it's one of my favorite dishes and just how cool it is to finally be able to have some after living in the Rimrock Inn for a month.

Right now, I'm sitting in the double-wide recliner in the house watching a History Channel special on Mega Disasters (this one is about how it won't be too long before Krakatoa goes off again, and it'll be even bigger this time around). You might be wondering why I'm slacking off and watching this instead of studying for the sim. The answer is really pretty simple: the sim sucks the life out of you so much that studying afterwards would be all but ineffective, so I only do a little studying after we get done with the sim in the evening and do most of my studying in the morning before we head to briefing at 12:30.

Ok, before I post this and hit the sack, I've got a couple of links for you (both sorta music related this time around):

My mom sent this one to me today. Not exactly sure of the back story behind it, but my understanding is that it's some church youth group performing at some sort of conference to Casting Crown's "Who Am I." It's really pretty cool and I was really impressed by it. I don't know if the link will work when I submit this post via email from my phone, but if it doesn't just copy it into your address bar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT7x3VnrqbA&eurl=

This other link is a video of a prototype/concept little robot that dances when it hears music through the microphone in its nose, looks at people through the little cameras mounted in its eyes, and just generally appears so life-like that it's hard to believe it's a robot (and doesn't have every move programed into it in sequence, but is actually reacting to the world around it):
http://beatbots.org/

3 Comments:

At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...both of those were really neat.

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me, by the way...

Kathy

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm beginning to develop a theory that Japan will be overthrown by robots. The rest of the world will be safe because they are on an island, and robots can't swim because they would short out in the seawater. Just watch out for Japanese robot-makers starting to make amphibious robots...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home